Our History

Our Czech Roots 

 

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope


Romans 15:4, NLT

1877 Foundations

The foundations for our church began in 1877, in an area of New York City that was then known as Little Bohemia. It was Rev. Gustav Albert Alexy, a Hungarian missionary, who felt a calling to work among the Czech community. Alexy borrowed the sanctuary of a German congregation to conduct New York City’s first worship service in the Czech language. From that initial gathering of 18 adults and 22 children grew The First Evangelical Bohemian Presbyterian Church, joining the presbytery in 1877 with Alexy as the inaugural installed pastor. The church building on 74th Street bore the inscription "Truth Prevails," a famous Jan Hus saying.

 

The Legacy of Jan Hus

When Pastor Alexy died in 1880, the newly official Presbyterian Church asked 21-year-old Vincent Pisek to take over as leader. At the turn of the century, Czech families immigrated to America in large numbers, with many settling in communities on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. These new immigrants carried with them stories and legacies of followers of Jan Hus, a 14th Czech priest, theologian, and proto-Protestant reformer, who was famously tried and executed on heresy charges by the Council of Constance in 1415. Rev. Pisek was also "free-thinking" and performed marriages between men and women from different ethnic groups. His enthusiasm to help make these marriages among the immigrant communities in the neighborhood was a part of what helped to build the church in these early years.

 

Contemporary Transitions

The congregation changed greatly, with the Czech community dispersing over the years. By the 1950s, Jan Hus Church was no longer predominantly Czech. Jan Hus was among the first churches to become an Open and Affirming congregation for the full inclusion of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender people in church life. The church is now one of many congregations associated with More Light Presbyterians and Parity (formerly Presbyterians Welcome).

Today, our congregation is a growing and diverse mix of people from all walks of life who seek to embody the justice and hospitality of Christ through worship and service. Now as Avenue Church NYC, our congregation is discerning fresh opportunities to extend a justice-centered welcome and vital material resources for renewing our community and an often-troubled world.  We invite you to join us as we write the exciting next chapters of our storied history as we look toward our newly intended future as Avenue Church NYC.

Sign up for our email list!

Construction is nearly complete!

1745 1st Avenue  New York, NY 10128

  • Facebook
  • Instagram

info@avenuechurchnyc.org  |  Phone:  212.288.7724 

Endowed by Jan Hus Presbyterian Church.